Thursday, July 7, 2016

Adam and Eve (excerpt test)

Ava slumped on her bed. The storm outside was raging, and the crew were working hard to keep the ship steady and on course. She was soaked and definitely a mess, but she was also tired from pulling on the ropes and shouting orders and helping her men and bailing water from the ship almost all at the same time. Yes, she was exhausted. Ava closed her eyes and let out a sigh, leaning as far back into her pillow as possible. Suddenly, she felt something shocking cold at her throat and her eyelids flew open. There was a man standing right over her, the tip of his knife focused on her throat and his expression angry. The prisoner! How did he escape the lower levels? At his sight Ava sat up. He kept the knife fixed and followed her movement, without a word. "Oh, it's you." she smiled, "I wonder why you came here."
"I'm getting revenge." he simply said, "You tried to drown me!"
"Do you blame me for feeling accomplished when I dip my prisoners into the sea for a few minutes?" Ava asked coolly, sinking her head back into the pillow again. "Sure, kill me. What good will it do to you? The crew will find you, and they don't care about me, for your information. It's every boy for himself."
At that the man grinded his teeth. She was getting on his nerves. He stung her throat harder. "As long as I take revenge on you, I don't care what happens to me. You made me feel the lowest I ever had, and you almost drowned me."
"Alright. That's nice. Nice story." Ava said with a bored tone. "I told you, if you kill me it won't help. Do it, but be quick. I've got an important meeting once we reach shore, and we're almost there."
Before the man could think about what to do next, Ava attacked his arm and kicked him hard in the stomach at the same time. This threw him off balance, and she was over him within seconds, pinning both his hands together. "You call yourself a Navy Captain?" she said with a scoff. "You're unbelievably weak!"
"Rrgh!" The man tried to struggle, but she had him in an iron grip. Ava shook her head mockingly, pressing the back of the prisoner's head into the floor, hard. "Son, let me tell you the story of Adam and Eve."
He didn't know how that story would relate to this situation, nor why she was mentioning it at all other than to mock him, but he knew he couldn't just sit there. If she wasn't too clever, he might have used brute strength. But she had all his vital points in check. Too bad for him. Ava smiled.
"It all began when God created the first man, Adam."
What followed was a heavy crash and Ava stood up afterwards, her favorite vase broken and her prisoner's head bleeding. He wasn't moving.
She scowled and whispered: "And then Adam died because he blamed Eve for what the devil did."

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh this was a really fun read!! 8D Ava's introduction is beyond fantastic, I just love her untroubled, laid-back personality and her charisma towards her prisoner in this piece. The strange switch from the issues of the storm at sea following an abrupt and contrasting conflict, and Ava's swift method of using quick wit to get around brute strength... it's all SO good!! ;-; And, speaking of Ava, I simply adore characters of her type, you know, the appealing sort that acts so unconcerned by the dilemmas in front of them, like '"Oh, it's you." she smiled, "I wonder why you came here."' - the way you've presented her is phenomenal!! Also, I really like this particular part '"I told you, if you kill me it won't help. Do it, but be quick. I've got an important meeting once we reach shore, and we're almost there."' because it prompts your logic; if you think about it properly, you know that if she's going to live to reach the meeting, then her prisoner ain't winning this battle. u_u Haha she's really humorous too, the way she ridicules her prisoner and treats him as if he's in a lowly position with her crafty story-telling. And the IRONY. It's crazy. Your writing skills truly shine when you imply death without properly announcing it in your writings! The fact that she values her vase over the prisoner's life further hints at her casual temperament. 8) Incredible cliffhanger there again too, wrapping it up with such an ironic twist! xD Gosh I absolutely enjoyed reading this one! Mind if I ask where you found the inspiration for Ava's cool character?? *cries* I really want more of herrr!! (Also slowly but surely catching up with your amazing writings <3)

    ReplyDelete