Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Insane Buddies - Black and White

It was one lone chair and one lone man. Beams of sunlight gently dotted his cheeks and he blinked his dull brown eyes. Why can't you listen to me? I sat in the other chair, the one across from him, in the dark corner. Why can't you listen to me, I wanted to ask. But he never listened. Just the intense staring. Why can't you listen to me, and you can't even speak for yourself! You don't know, you have your little green blackboard up and your chalks up and your own life up there hanging on that ceiling, somewhere. What a crazy man, why can't you listen to me? I know what's best, and after all, I really do. You just tape things to the ceiling mindlessly and then smear them with fingerpaint. Like a child. Man, why don't you just listen to me? We both stood up. We had to keep our heads, and I started taping things to the ceiling too. I taped myself and my hair and my nose. The man taped himself up along next to me and we waited. Footsteps, but there was no door. They couldn't possibly barge in on us, we had no door and the floor was red and blue, gray and yellow and green with paint. He painted a sunflower and I painted a cop car with a siren. I painted a raven and he painted a robin. I painted a fire and he painted a heaven. I painted black guns and he painted the face of my depression. I painted a raincloud and he painted the shape of my sins forgiven. Right. I'd known that. Yet he never listened to me. His little green blackboard and chalks. His little paints and doors and windows. It made me laugh, maybe. It made me cry. The footsteps finally came and the door finally opened and they finally took him away from the asylum and I was left alone with myself and myself and myself. Maybe it made me laugh, and maybe, maybe it made me cry. They always took the bright ones away; and he never listened to me.

2 comments:

  1. Wow... the silent childhood painting aesthetic mixed with mystery in this piece is fascinating! I love the overall poetic mood in this style of writing and the repetition of "why can't you listen to me" brings in a sense of desperation you might have in a dream. And this does feel very dreamy too!! (: The chalkboard and colours, the paint and pictures they draw... I love that trailing feeling you've given! xD But it all contrasts greatly with the implications of dark themes and loneliness, for instance, "they always took the bright ones away"; it seems as if these two characters are a part of each other despite the fact that they don't talk, they just paint their thoughts. And when they're apart, the world is lost and monochrome. I was also surprised to find that little Easter egg there, "I painted a raven and he painted a robin"! <3 Ahh where do you find the inspiration to write such beautiful works like this? I guess just writing straight from your imagination as soon as an idea pops up is the best thing (which I'm awful at doing haha) but your style of writing is so compelling! ;-; <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. So this is the signature story of this blog then? xD

    ReplyDelete